Israel has been carrying out continuous airstrikes on Gaza, causing significant casualties and raising concerns worldwide. Here is a summary of the key developments:
The Conflict and Casualties:
- Israel has been conducting airstrikes in Gaza following an attack by Hamas on its southern towns.
- More than 1,200 bodies have been discovered, primarily of unarmed civilians, according to the Israeli army.
- Gaza officials have reported over 900 people killed as a result of extensive air and artillery strikes in the densely populated area.
- US President Joe Biden has pledged support to Israel, expressing revulsion at the loss of civilian lives during the Hamas assault.
- Fears of a deepening humanitarian crisis in Gaza have arisen due to over 1,000 destroyed buildings and a total siege affecting 2.3 million people.
- The United Nations has reported that more than 260,000 Gaza residents have been displaced, while the European Union has called for a “humanitarian corridor” to allow civilians to escape the conflict.
- Israel seems to be preparing for a potential ground invasion of Gaza while also facing rocket attacks from militant groups in Lebanon and Syria.
- Israel has targeted southern Lebanon, an area controlled by Hezbollah, an ally of Iran.
- President Biden issued a stern warning to those considering taking advantage of the situation.
Death Toll and Hostages:
- Israel experienced the deadliest attack in its history with more than 1,500 militants infiltrating its security barrier during a coordinated assault by Hamas.
- Hamas gunmen indiscriminately killed civilians, including the very young, elderly, and entire families who sought refuge in their homes.
- Israeli forces have reclaimed southern communities after intense street battles, resulting in casualties on both sides.
- Concerns have been raised about at least 150 hostages, mostly Israelis, held by Hamas in Gaza.
Situation in Gaza:
- Heavy fighting continues in Gaza, with airstrikes causing destruction, killing dozens, and leaving the area in ruins.
- Gazan residents are dealing with widespread devastation, with damaged buildings, mosques, factories, and shops.
- Medical supplies, including oxygen, are running low at Al-Shifa hospital in Gaza.
Unrest in the West Bank and Growing Tensions:
- Unrest has erupted in the occupied West Bank, where Palestinians have been killed in protests in solidarity with Gaza.
- Growing fear and distrust have been noted in Israeli cities, affecting relations between Jews and Arab-Israeli minorities.
- Israeli border police have reported shooting two Palestinians in east Jerusalem following clashes.
- Diplomatic efforts continue to prevent a broader conflict in the Middle East.
- US Secretary of State Antony Blinken is expected to visit Israel to discuss support and the situation involving American citizens.
- China has expressed its intention to work with Egypt to seek a ceasefire.
- Many nations have reported citizens killed, abducted, or missing as a result of the ongoing conflict, including Brazil, Cambodia, Canada, Ireland, Mexico, Nepal, Panama, Paraguay, Russia, Sri Lanka, Thailand, and Ukraine.